Monday, June 3, 2019

God's Elect

All scripture references, unless otherwise noted, are from the King James Version of the Holy Bible. The Hebrew and Greek meaning of the words mentioned are from Strong's Hebrew Greek Dictionary.
The Lord said in Matthew 24:24-25 "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.  Behold, I have told you before." (See also  Mark 13:22) The elect of God.  The word elect from Strong's Hebrew-Greek dictionary is "G1588 ἐκλεκτός (pronounced) eklektos ek-lek-tos' From G1586; select; by implication favorite: - chosen, elect. Total KJV occurrences: 23." I'm glad that I am  part of the elect of God. Let me say that you too can be part of the elect of God. First let me explain the phrase verse 24. Jesus said, "...if it were possible..." In Mark's gospel the Lord uses the same words. The strong implication is it is not possible.  So if you and I are a part of the elect of God, it is not possible for us to be deceived or seduced by the devil. Am I saying that I believe in eternal security? No, not in the classical or common sense of the word.

The Lord Jesus said prior to His crucifixion in John 12:32"And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me." Again in 2nd Peter 3:9 the Bible says, "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." The operative word in both scriptures is "...all..." In the Old Testament the prophet Ezekiel wrote, "Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?" (See Ezekiel 18:23) And in Ezekiel 33:11,  "Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?" 

Who are the elect of God? They are all those who have put their trust in God. All who have sincerely repented of their sins and have submitted to baptism in Jesus name. (See Mark 16:16 and Acts 4:12) All who have allowed God to fill them with His Holy Spirit (See Acts 2:4) and determined in their hearts to live for Him all the days of their remaining lives. If you and I have done those things then it will not be possible for us to be deceived or seduced by the devil. Remember the operative term, all? God asked Israel, "...why will ye die?..." I believe He is asking the same of you and I today, why die?

No comments:

Post a Comment