Friday, November 3, 2017

I Was Blind But Now I See

All scripture references are from the King James version unless otherwise noted.
The Gospel of John, chapter 9 tells of a man who was born blind. As Jesus and His disciples passed by they asked the Lord who had sinned that caused the man to be born blind, his parents or himself. Jesus replied that neither he nor his parents had caused his blindness "but that the works of God should be made manifest in him." Then Jesus proceeded to heal him. When he was called on the carpet by the Pharisees they asked him how he had received his sight. He told them that a man named Jesus had put clay on his eyes and told him to go to the Pool of Siloam and wash.  He did and was healed. When the pharisees said that Jesus must be a sinner because He had healed on the Sabbath the man born blind said, "Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see." After much ado and his defending the man called Jesus who had healed him he was ex-communicated from the synagogue.

I want to say that I too was blind until Jesus came. I wasn't physically blind as the man in the gospel story, but blind none-the-less. When the Lord spoke to me He said the direction my life was going was leading me to death. He said I had a choice to make. Then in the utmost tones of unutterable love He said, "make Me your choice, I am the only reasonable choice you have." I made the Lord Jesus my choice that day and now can say also, I was blind but now I see.

The story doesn't end there. Jesus found the man He had healed of blindness and asked him if he believed on the Son of God. When the man asked the Lord who He was and he would believe on Him, in verses 37 and 38 the Bible says, "And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him, and it is he that talketh with thee.  And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him." There were with the Lord some pharisees who heard this conversation and asked Him if they were blind also. In verse 41,  "Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth."

My friends if you have never had your eyes opened let me encourage you today. Turn to God by putting your faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Be baptized in the only name that God has given for salvation, the wonderful name of Jesus, and God has promised to give you the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the initial evidence of speaking in a language you never learned. (See Acts 2:1-4; 2:38 and Acts 4:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment