Friday, August 26, 2016

Don't Write Me Off!

All scripture references are from the King James version unless otherwise noted.
A common human trait is to write someone off when they continue to do the wrong thing. However instead of writing them off maybe we should hold them up in prayer. When I think back over my life, (I am now 75 years old), I am made to think of the life I lived before I became a Christian. I remember the first time I became conscious of God. I was about 5 years old. There was a spectacular meteor shower, probably in the Summertime as all the neighbors and ourselves were out in our front yards oohing and awing  over the sight. As I recall, my grandmother Ward was visiting us. As we stood there I started crying, My grandma came over to me, knelt down and asked me why I was crying, I remember telling her I was scared.  She told me not to be afraid as it was a sign in the heavens that one day the Lord Jesus was going to return and take His people home to be with Him. From that day on I don't remember a time I did not believe in God.

Does that mean I grew up as a Christian? No, rather as an unchurched heathen. Oh, my mother tried over the years to point us in the right direction but, as she was backslidden in her walk with God, we didn't go to church much. As a result, I never read the Bible nor turned my life over to the Lord Jesus. I grew up without the godly influence of church or a pastor in my life. I did those things that seemed convenient at the time to do.

My brother Joe turned to the Lord Jesus at about 18 years of age. He was a couple of years older than me and I remember, being about 15 or 16 resenting his efforts to convert me.  I had learned to curse and swear from my friends and would curse at him and tell him where he could go. Before long I even cursed at my mother and stepdad. I had become very recalcitrant. Finally, at 17, I quit school and joined the U.S. Army where I really learned how to swear and use vulgar language. I am ashamed to this day to even speak of the things I did. I shudder to think what my life would have been without the prayers of my brother Joe. My other brother Gary and his wife Marian along with my mother continued to try to reach me with the gospel but couldn't make any headway. My brother Gary and his wife even gave me a Bible for Christmas while I was in the Army, I just didn't read it. I thought God, being Holy would not want a sinner as unholy as I had become to be in His heaven. I was a lost sinner and I thought I was destined for hell.

It wasn't until I was 23 that God changed my life and I began to serve Him. I thank God for the prayers of my brother Joe and the other members of my family and the church that God didn't write me off. I now have children, who have children of their own. Some of my children are not doing as they were taught. Some of my grandchildren are not doing right at all. But I refuse to write them off. The Bible says in 2nd Peter 3:9 that God isn't willing that any should perish but that they turn from their sins to God. If they will do so they will find the Saviour Jesus Christ for themselves. When I was young I heard the phrase "where there is life there is hope." God will never write us off as long as we live. My friends, God hasn't written you off either. If you will repent of your sins, turn to God, put your faith in the Lord Jesus and be baptized in Jesus name, God has promised to fill you with His Holy Spirit.  The Lord Jesus has not written you off.

No comments:

Post a Comment