Saturday, November 16, 2013

A Bible Study

All scripture references, unless otherwise noted, are from the King James Version of the Holy Bible. The Hebrew and Greek meaning of the words mentioned are from Strong's Hebrew Greek Dictionary.
The following is a Bible study I gave to the church in Newport Oregon in October of 2006. I have wanted to post it on this blog ever since I heard the excellent message by Brother Raymond Woodward at the 2013 United Pentecostal General Conference (via the web). If you can you should get that message and listen to what Brother Woodward had to say about the Lord Jesus.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Its All In Him
The Bible says in Colossians 2:9-10 “in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily And ye are complete in him…” We are complete in the Lord Jesus Christ alone. Many who call themselves Christian try to detract from the Doctrine of the fulness of the Godhead being in Jesus Christ by referring to Oneness Pentecostals as “those Jesus only people,” but I like the reply some have made by saying “we’re not Jesus Only, we’re Jesus Everything!”

Today we are going to visit a few Scriptures that will establish the truth of the doctrine of God in Christ.

2nd Corinthians 5:19 The Apostle Paul wrote to the Church of Corinth saying “To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them;” The Bible says “God was in Christ…” Many theologians will concur that God was in Christ while maintaining that Christ was not God alone but that He was in the Godhead as a second person.

John 14:4-11 Jesus told His disciples “whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.” The Lord had been speaking to them about His going away to prepare a place for them. The disciples did not yet really understand what He was talking about and “Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?” It was from this question that we have one of the most famous sayings of the Lord Jesus, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

But the Lord didn’t stop there, He went on and said “If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.” This really got them to wondering and “Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.” The answer Jesus gave them that day is still the answer He gives to the question “shew us the Father…” Jesus said to Philip “Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?” When we see Jesus Christ, we see the Father!

Isaiah 9:6 This is the reason that Isaiah said ”For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.” If ever God had wanted us to believe that Jesus Christ was the eternal Son of God, this would have been the ideal place to make it known. But rather, He identified the child to be born and the son to be given as the Everlasting Father!

Titus 2:13 It is no wonder that the Apostle Paul referred to the Lord Jesus as “the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;”
2nd Peter 1:1 The Apostle Peter also called Him “God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:”
Jude in verse 25 said “To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.”

John 20:27 Jesus appeared to His disciples eight days after His resurrection. Thomas had said previously, “Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.” When the Lord showed Thomas His hands and His side and said “be not faithless but believing,” Thomas “said unto him, My Lord and my God.” There is little doubt that Thomas at least thought of the Lord Jesus as his Lord and his God.

Exodus 3:1-15 Moses had the burning bush experience in which God told him “I Am that I Am…" and to tell the children of Israel "I AM hath sent me unto you…” The I AM (in Hebrew היה hâyâh) simply means “to exist.” e.g., “I am He Who Exists.” The word in verse 15 “LORD” in “the LORD God of your fathers,” is taken from the word Hayah, and means “The Self Existent One, The Eternal.”

Jesus Own Testimony
John 8:51-59 Jesus told the Jews that whoever kept His sayings would never see death. They were incredulous. They asked Jesus if He thought Himself to be greater than Father Abraham? Jesus gave the astounding answer that “Before Abraham was, I AM.” The word the Lord used in verse 58 when He said, "I AM" was "εγώ ειμί," pronounced, eg-o' i-mee and means "I Exist." Jesus preexisted Abraham, not as the Son of God but as the great I AM!

Revelation 1:8 the Bible, speaking of Jesus, says “I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.” A Jewish Rabbi was asked in a radio interview what exactly the tetragramaton, JHVH (usually translated LORD in the KJV) meant and he replied that it literally means, “I AM He Who is and Who was and Who is to come.”

Isa 40:28 The Bible says “Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary?”

Psa 41:13 The Bible says, “Blessed be the LORD God of Israel from everlasting, and to everlasting. Amen, and Amen.”

Chorus: He’s the Great I AM the Everlasting Father.
He’s the Prince of Peace, the Great Eternal Wonder,
Holy Counselor, the Mighty God is Jesus,
He’s the Great He’s the Great I AM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did make some adjustments to the original Bible study for this posting. If you have read thus far, I hope you are as thrilled as I am at who the Lord Jesus is. He is the great I Am.

No comments:

Post a Comment