Saturday, March 30, 2019

NKJV vs OKJV

All scripture references, unless otherwise noted, are from the King James Version of the Holy Bible.

Oh, you've never heard of the OKJV, it is simply the old King James Version of the Bible that we have loved all these years. I personally have never had any problem using the old King James Version. If there are inaccuracies in the OKJV I have never found them. Many years ago I read or heard that a college professor made the statement that a good knowledge of the KJV of the Bible was equivalent to a college education. I don't know if that is true or not but I sure do love God's Word. A reminder is due at this juncture, the King James Version of the Bible is a translation. It is not translated from the original manuscripts. They, as far as I know, do not exist but the manuscripts that the KJV was translated from were copies (probably of copies, of copies, ad infinitum). To me it is through the amazing providence of God that the KJV comes to us without discernable error.

I have looked at several different web sites and found that some folks don't like the New King James Version of the Bible for various reasons. One which gives some comparisons is: http://www.angelfire.com/la2/prophet1/NKJVOmissions.html another which gives more of an in-depth history is:  https://www.chick.com/battle-cry/article?id=whats-wrong-with-the-new-king-james
In my (non-exhaustive) research was one which gave a thumbs up,  https://ichthys.com/mail-kjv vs new kjv.htm. Many fundamentalist preachers are using the NKJV simply because it is more user friendly. But it does seem to change some of the meaning in some cases. I personally like the OKJV because I don't like change.

I suppose that getting someone to like or dislike the NKJV or the OKJV is much like trying to get someone to change their mind against their will. That old saying comes into play here, "a man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still." Or, as the case may be, "don't convince me with facts, my mind is already made up." I'm reminded of the time shortly after I gave my heart to the Lord, the pastor had an old friend who was a chart teacher come for a week of services. He taught on the correlation of the Books of Daniel and Revelation. The adult Bible teacher had also been teaching on those books. As I sat on the edge of my seat en-rapt with the teaching it occurred to me that there was some discrepancy between their teaching. I immediately asked the Lord which was right. The Lord responded, "I'm right." 

The Bible says in 
Psalm 33:4, "For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth." I like that chorus we use to sing in church called The Word of God is right. It goes like this:
   The word of God is right Hallelujah to the Lamb, 
   The word of God is right Hallelujah to the Lamb, 
   The word of God is right Hallelujah to the Lamb, 
   Hallelujah to the Lamb.
The Second verse goes;
   It makes me walk upright, Hallelujah to the Lamb,
   It makes me walk upright, Hallelujah to the Lamb,
   It makes me walk upright, Hallelujah to the Lamb,
   Hallelujah to the Lamb.
And Bible does say in 2nd Corinthians 3:3-6"Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart. And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward: Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." And the Bible says in 2nd Timothy 2:19,  "Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity." If you are a true born again Christian you shouldn't be too concerned about the use of the NKJV based on the foregoing scriptures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment