Monday, February 11, 2019

Faith Faith Faith Just a Little Bit of Faith

All quotations of the Bible are from the King James Version unless otherwise noted.
An older chorus yes, but a truism none-the-less.  the Bible records in Matthew 17:14-21 "And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying, Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water. And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him. Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour. Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting." (See also Luke 17:5-6) It is an amazing thing that I had this thought on Saturday evening and the pastor touched on the thought Sunday Morning. And then Sunday evening as we watched an online church program the preacher again touched on the same. I think I'm onto something!

The pastor asked if anyone would commit to fasting this week. Knowing what the Lord Jesus had put in my heart the night before, and the pastor after mentioning what Jesus had said, I very readily raised my hand. Then I was almost blown away last night when the preacher on the web, who was about 2000 miles away, mentioned the same scripture. This wasn't for me alone. I believe that God wants us to exercise some prayer and fasting. The Lord Jesus told Philip in John 14:11-14"Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it." Do greater works than Jesus? That's what He said!

The Lord Jesus said in Matthew 21:20-22 "And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away! Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done. And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive." (See also Mark 11:23) This is more than "name it and claim it," for the Lord said in John 14:13, "...that the Father may be glorified in the Son."

The Bible says in Colossians 3:17, "And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him." I am persuaded that if we will take God at His Word, He will move literal mountains for us. And God will end up getting the glory. I want to give God all the glory. And, oh, that chorus. It goes like this:
     Faith, faith, faith just a little bit of faith, 
     Faith, faith, faith just a little bit of faith,
     You don't need a whole lot,
     Just use what you've got, 
     Faith, faith, faith, just a little bit of faith.
"If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed..."

No comments:

Post a Comment