Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Read Your Bible Pray Every Day

All scripture references, unless otherwise noted, are from the King James Version of the Holy Bible.
Have you ever sung that song? You might say you did in a child's Sunday school class. I was recently thinking about the song, Read Your Bible, Pray Every Day. I really did not know the words by heart. Is it really a child's Sunday school song? I was not privileged to be brought up in church. But after almost 53 years of serving the Lord Jesus, I find the need greater now to read my Bible and pray every day. I don't want to grow physically, but I do still want to grow spiritually. My wife and I try to make time in our lives to read the Bible on a daily basis. We also try to pray every day, Sometimes we miss our prayer time, that is on our knees, but I can't tell you the last time I failed to read the Bible. Apostle Paul said in 1st Thessalonians 5:17  to, "Pray without ceasing." I guess that answers the need because the Lord Jesus is always in my thoughts and I do try my best to be in a spirit of prayer all the time.
But back to the song that the title of this posting is about. Do you read your Bible and pray everyday? If we will collectively do so, we will grow spiritually. We will be on the edge of our seats looking for the soon return of the Lord. The Bible says in Acts 1:11. "...this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven." Some would say it has been 2,000 years or so and the Lord has not returned. Apostle Peter said there would be scoffers in the last days, "...saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation." (See 2nd Peter 3:4) It is in this beautiful  chapter that Peter under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost said, "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." (See 2nd Peter 3:9) It was Paul's statement in Romans 2:4 that he said, "...that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?" 
It was God's forbearance of our sins that brought the Lord Jesus into the world. It was God's forbearance of our sins that took Him to a cruel cross to suffer and die. It was God's forbearance of our sins that made us His children, His children? Maybe that song ought to be mentioned again. Maybe we should learn the words and sing it for ourselves. If you don't know the words they are easy:
     Read your Bible, pray every day
     Pray every day, pray every day
     Read your Bible, pray every day
     And you'll grow, grow, grow,
     And you'll grow, grow, grow,
     And you'll grow, grow, grow,
     Read your Bible, pray every day
     And you'll grow, grow, grow.
If you neglect to heed the words to this children's song the second stanza applies to you. You might be so taken up with the cares of the world that you will miss the coming of the Lord. I don't want to miss that greatest of all events, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment