Monday, April 9, 2018

Make Me What I Ought To Be

All scripture references, unless otherwise noted, are from the King James Version of the Holy Bible.
We are not saved by music. The Bible tells us in 1st Corinthians 1:18-21 what saves us,  "For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe." So God has made known to us what saves us, "...the foolishness of preaching..."  the cross. But music can be a wonderful confirmation to the preaching of the cross.

The title of this posting is part of an old chorus we sang in church when I first turned to God. It goes like this:
     Make me what I ought to be,
     Help me to be more like Thee,
     Bid me come up higher till Thy face I see,
     Make me what I ought to be.
It was a beautiful chorus with a beautiful message. I remember singing that chorus many times during church services. I still sing it on occasion as a heartfelt prayer to the Lord Jesus. No matter how hard you or I may try, we can't serve God alone. Jesus said in  John 15:5b, "...He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." I was unaware of those words of the Lord when I gave my heart to Him and I told Him that with His help I would serve Him from that day till the day I died. I still try daily to tell the Lord Jesus that. I love the song entitled "I Can't Even Walk (Without You Holding My Hand)." Part of the lyrics are the same as the title, "I can't even walk without You holding my hand." How true!

No, music can't save us but it can usher us into the very presence of God. I love the newer songs that offer praise to the Lord Jesus. He is truly worthy of all my praise. But there is something about many of the older songs and choruses that touch a deep place in my heart. We, both you and I will never be worthy of what Jesus did for us at Calvary, except for the fact that He has counted us worthy if we will believe. I truly want to give Him thanks for His, "so great salvation." (See Hebrews 2:3) There is a plethora of older songs and choruses that are not sung in many of our churches anymore. More's the pity. My hope and prayer for all is that we will come to realize the cost of our salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment