Thursday, August 6, 2015

WDJD?

All scripture references, unless otherwise noted, are from the King James Version of the Holy Bible.
Perhaps you have heard of the expression, "What Would Jesus Do?" It is better known by its acronym, WWJD. When we run into a situation that requires our actions, as Christians, we want to do the right thing, thus we sometimes resort to the expression, what would Jesus do? I really love that chorus we used to sing in church. It goes as follows:
     To be like Jesus, to be like Jesus,
     On earth I long to be like Him.
     All through life's journey from earth to glory,
     I only ask to be like Him.
Its a good chorus that should express our deepest desire. But if you are married, have you ever yelled at your spouse? I remember as a young person I had rebuilt a motor for my car. In those days, when you rebuilt a motor, you had to "break it in" by driving at a slow speed for 3 or 4 hundred miles. I was living in the Puget Sound area of Washington state. I had a cousin who lived in the Spokane area. He was visiting Puyallup and I thought I would take him home to Spokane, thus killing two birds with one stone.

We got into Spokane area about one o'clock in the morning. As I recall, the house was locked up and my cousin didn't have a key. As a result we awakened someone, who in turn awakened everyone. My uncle made everybody get up, had his wife fix a meal at one or one-thirty in the morning, all in my honor. Then after we ate, we sat around and talked. Both my uncle and my aunt were Christians, but of differing beliefs. Before long they were contending with each other about their differences and began to raise their voices. My uncle found that my aunt could shout louder than he could, so he went to the piano and began to play and sing hymns. I was not a Christian at the time and was very dismayed, not really knowing what to think.

Thus the title of this posting, WDJD? It stands for, "what did Jesus do? Well He did many things as John 21:25 says, "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen." How true! There is one thing that the Lord Jesus did that should negate the expression, "what would Jesus do?" This too is found in John's gospel. In John 8:28-29 the Bible says, "Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things. And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him." If we will "do always those things that please" God we will never again have to ask ourselves the question, "what would Jesus do?"

No comments:

Post a Comment