Monday, December 10, 2012

Comprehending the Incomprehensible God

Isaiah 9:6 declares  "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." What a verse of scripture to be quoted at this time of year. Truly the Lord Jesus is the fulfillment of this verse.

Jesus said in John 14 when asked by Philip  to show them the Father and that would satisfy them,"Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake." Now this presents a great difficulty for those who would like to see the Father as separate from the Son. For Jesus said, "he that hath seen me hath seen the Father." What? By seeing the Son of God, we can see the Father? When you see me, John Dinwiddie, you surely wouldn't see my father. My father is long since dead and buried. Seeing me doesn't show you what my father was like. There may be a family resemblance but even if my father were still living, you would be able to tell us apart because we are two separate individuals.

Talk about an incomprehensible God, in the Bible God said in Isaiah 55:8-9, "my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." God asked the question in Isaiah 40:25  "To whom then will ye liken me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One." And again in Isaiah 46:6, "To whom will ye liken me, and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be like?" What in the earth or for that matter in heaven above or hell beneath can we compare God to? His thought and His ways are above our thoughts and ways higher than the heavens are above the earth. There is no one, there is nothing like God, anywhere! Truly God is incomprehensible.

It is interesting to note in John 20:27-28 that when the apostle commonly referred to as Doubting Thomas saw the Resurrected Christ, the Lord Jesus said to him, "Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God." Here was a Jew, Thomas, who had been taught from his earliest recollection that the God of Israel was One (see Deuteronomy 6:4) and he was to have no other gods before that God, (see Exodus 20:3 and Deuteronomy 5:7), crying out in astonishment that the one standing before him was indeed that very God. 

So how does one comprehend the incomprehensible God, whose ways are "past finding out?"  (see Romans 11:33) The Bible says of Jesus Christ God's Son in Hebrews 1:1-3, "God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high..."  The Bible speaks of Jesus Christ the Son of God only as"the brightness of his (God's) glory, and the express image of his (God's) person." The Apostle Paul said in Colossians 2:9-10 said, "For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:" Is the Godhead in Jesus and not the other way around? And Paul said in 2nd Corinthians 5:19a "To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them..." No wonder Paul told Timothy in 1st Timothy 3:16, "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.  Everything you or I can know of God is comprehended and can only be comprehended in Jesus Christ, God's only begotten Son.

I believe it was Martin Luther who said something to the following effect, "If you are searching for God, let your search begin at Jesus Christ and let it end there!" Whoever said it, it is good advice! It is only in Jesus that you can find and know God.

No comments:

Post a Comment