Friday, February 5, 2021

A Bill of Goods

All scripture references, unless otherwise noted, are from the King James Version of the Holy Bible.

Have you ever bought something based only on an advertisement, whether in person  or on the internet? Who hasn't? The advertisement may well be accurate and the product does everything it is advertised to do. There are some products that don't live up to their advertised claims. Have you ever bought anything that didn't live up to it's claims? You and I have probably done so when we bought something based on what the product was supposed to do only to find out that we had been sold a false bill of goods. Something that sounds too good to be true usually is! I remember falling for more than one false claim. A ponzi scheme is one example. Years ago I received a letter from a friend. In it I was instructed to send a dollar to the top person on the list. (as I recall there were four people on the list). When my name got to the top of the list I would be the recipient. Sounded good to me. I was a pastor at the time and dollars were short so I fell for it. I received several weeks later a letter from the U.S. Postmaster telling me that this was a ponzi scheme and it was illegal and I was in jeopardy and shouldn't have any further thing to do with it. I have always been scrupulously honest and aboveboard and was dismayed to say the least. There have been other times I have been sold a false bill of goods that I won't go into here but we need to be warned, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

Let me tell you about something that is true. The Bible says in Psalm 33:4, "For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth."love the chorus we used to sing in church:  "The Word Of God is Right, Hallelujah to the the Lamb." You can't go wrong believing the Word of God. Jesus said in His prayer for you and I, "... thy word is truth." (See John 17;17) To think that the Great God robed Himself in Flesh and came as the Son of God to be the Saviour of  the likes of you and I. He prayed for us also who believe on Him through the apostle's words! (See John 17:20) I love the song, "Oh What a Saviour" (BTW they didn't search through heaven to find Him as the song says. He gave Himself willingly because He loves us with an everlasting love, see Jeremiah 31:3). 

God did not sell us a bill of goods that later on would become somewhat less than was advertised. In fact God gave us a free gift, the gift of life everlasting through His only begotten Son. (See John 3:16) The Bible says in Isaiah 55:1-3"Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness. Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David." What a deal! Buy without price? You and I couldn't afford the price that was paid that day. Friend, why not accept the free gift that God has given to you. Turn away from your sins in repentance toward God. Put your faith in Jesus and be baptized in His name to have your sins forgiven, and God has promised you His Spirit which He has given to all that obey Him. (See Mark 16:15-16; Acts 2:36-41, Acts 5:31-32, and Acts 20:20-21


2 comments:

  1. Hello, just came across your blog. Many things advertised in this world are shown as being 99.9 percent working. This is to allow the fact that the product is not 99 percent working. The only thing I have found to be 100 percent true is God's Word.

    ReplyDelete