Sunday, January 3, 2021

He Who Fails to Plan, Plans to Fail

All scripture references, unless otherwise noted, are from the King James Version of the Holy Bible.

The first time I heard that phrase was shortly after I gave my heart and life to the Lord Jesus. It was in the Puyallup, Washington UPC and I was with (I think) my late brother Joe. I guess I had the notion that whenever the Spirit of God would move me I was ready to speak. I had not yet been to Bible college nor had I gotten married as I recall.  I remember the brother who was speaking was not high on the list of people I wanted to emulate. (the Bible says in 2nd Corinthians 10:12 that this is not wise) But I was a very young Christian then. I'm glad for the Lord's vast patience with me.

As I implied, I had a wrong idea of humility back then. Now I think I understand that true humility is realizing that we do not know everything. I have been serving God now for approximately 55 + years, most of that time in the ministry. And I find that I know very little more than I thought I did when I first gave my heart to God. In fact, if I were to be honest with myself, I know less now than I thought I knew then! I hope you don't begin to think me dishonest with you, but I think I know myself. You I don't know but by your testimony. If you say you are a Christian, who am I to say your not. I kind of like the saying, "to thine own self be true," credited to one of the ancient philosophers, I'm not sure which.

To get back on track let me reiterate that, "he who fails to plan, plans to fail!" This is true! How I wish that in the intervening years I had practiced that more.  This one thing has been constant in my life, God is faithful. The Bible says in Hebrews 10:23 speaking of Jesus as our High Priest, "(for he is faithful that promised....) I remember once when there was a minister's meeting that I was not wanting to testify at but I expected to be called on to say how things were going in the Tigard area. Sure enough I was called on. I remember saying that one thing I knew for certain and I quoted the Apostle Paul and said, "...for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." (See 2nd Timothy 1:12b) Let me say to any younger minister out there, you should always plan for unforeseen things taking into account God's will in the process. For he who fails to plan, plans to fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment