Thursday, December 3, 2020

What Is That To Thee

All scripture references, unless otherwise noted, are from the King James Version of the Holy Bible.

In John 21: 20-21, one of the last things the Lord Jesus said to Peter when, "...Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee? Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do? Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me." This seems to have been the beginning of sectarianism. What would happen if the entire church world were to accept Jesus Christ as the only Lord God, be baptized in the name of Jesus and be filled with the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in a language they had never learned, and then follow the Lord, living a holy life pleasing to Him alone. I can't help but think that we would then at last achieved the goal of being the church of the last days just as the church was in it's inception.

Is this possible? My wife and I were listening to some Christian Christmas music today. One song was called, "Mary Did You Know."  In the song some of the lyrics were, "...your baby boy would one day walk on water? or, "when you kiss your little baby you kiss the face of God." The final line of the song is, "That sleeping child your holding is the great I AM." My wife couldn't help exclaiming, "if all the people who sang that song could only see that He is the great I AM." The next song was, "His Name Shall Be Called," by Matt Redman and takes the lyrics of the chorus from Isaiah 9:6 which says, "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." 

Jesus Christ is the great I AM. This is why the Bible says in Acts 4:12"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." This is why in every instance in the Bible when baptism took place it was always it the name of Jesus. (See Acts 2:38Acts 8:16Acts 10:47-48 and Acts 19:5.)  Let me say unequivocally that Jesus Christ is not a second person in the Godhead. He is the great I AM. The Doctrine of the Trinity which is based entirely on Matthew 28:19 is a false doctrine from the Roman Catholic Church. No one was ever baptized there. It was a command to the apostles to go into all the world preaching the gospel and when they did they invariably baptized their converts in Jesus name.

Why be baptized at all. Simply put, because The Lord Jesus said in Mark 16:16, "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." I am so glad that someone asked me if I wanted to be baptized in Jesus name when I gave my heart to the to Lord Jesus. I'll never forget my answer to that question that day. I remember saying, "if it's in the Bible I want it." I still feel that way. Now I could ask the Lord Jesus about your salvation. I think I would get the answer, "what is that to thee? follow thou me."

 


No comments:

Post a Comment