Wednesday, January 10, 2018

As A Man Thinketh?

All scripture references, unless otherwise noted, are from the King James Version of the Holy Bible. 
The Bible says in Proverbs  23:7, "For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he..." I don't want to argue over words but I have heard this passage of scripture misquoted many times. Preachers, good ones too, have said, "as a man thinketh in his heart so is he." This is a misquote. The Bible says in context in Proverbs 23:1-8,  "When thou sittest to eat with a ruler, consider diligently what is before thee: And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite. Be not desirous of his dainties: for they are deceitful meat. Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom.  Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven. Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainty meats:  For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee. The morsel which thou hast eaten shalt thou vomit up, and lose thy sweet words." I'm not sure if I have ever heard it quoted right.

As I said, I don't want to argue over words but if one were to try to witness to a Bible scholar and  misquote the Word of God I wonder how much credibility he would have? I love the Word of God! And I am persuaded that God loves His word more than me, much more. The Bible says in Psalm 119:89"... For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven." I believe that the unadulterated Word of God is settled in heaven. I just think that when a preacher says, "the Bible says," and then misquotes the Bible, he is either showing his ignorance of what the Bible does say, or he is misquoting the word of God in order to deceive the listener. Have I ever misquoted the Bible? Yes I have, but not often, and never on purpose.

I am not one who thinks the King James Version of the Bible reflects accuracy to the nth degree. However it is, in my opinion, the most accurate English version available. Which is why I use it almost exclusively. When I first met the Lord Jesus in 1965 He told me to read His word and to start in Matthew. I only had a King James Version and only read the English language. I have read the Bible through numerous times and still only read English. I like the story of the banker who was asked how he was able to identify counterfeits. Did he have to study all the counterfeit money? His response was no! He only studied the real thing  and then he recognized a counterfeit when he saw one.

Well enough said. I don't want to argue about the Bible. I believe if one repents and turns from their sins, is baptized in Jesus name to have their sins forgiven and receives the baptism of the Holy Ghost as they did on the Day of Pentecost, purposing in their heart to serve and live for God for the remainder of their life, that they will be saved, according to the word of God.
(See Mark 16-16, Acts 2:1-4, Acts 2:38, Acts 4:12 and Acts 20:21)


No comments:

Post a Comment