Friday, May 6, 2016

"Lord Jesus if you will help me...

All scripture references, unless otherwise noted, are from the King James Version of the Holy Bible. 
...I will serve you from this day to the day I die!" Those were the words I spoke to the Lord the day He called on me to make Him my choice. That was more than 50 years ago. I can testify that He has indeed helped me from that day to this.

I had never read the Bible and did not know that the Lord had said in the Gospel of John 15:5, "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." I had developed a bad habit of swearing. In the U.S. Army that habit had only been exacerbated. I had tried to stop after I had used the f word in front of my mother and the mother of a friend, only to find that I could not even think without thinking bad language. The first thing that happened the day after I spoke those words was the Lord Jesus was the complete cleansing of my heart. Not only was the swearing and bad language gone, but also my desire to live in a manner that was not pleasing to the Lord Jesus. And, as I recall, simultaneously the Lord said, "read my word and start in Matthew."  I immediately went into the living room and told my mother and step-father that the Lord had just called me to serve Him. I then went to my bedroom, found my Bible and began to read it, starting in Matthew.

My friend, whoever you are that may be reading these words, let me point you to the Lord Jesus Christ. In Hebrews 10:23b the Bible says, "...he is faithful that promised..." The Lord Jesus has been that friend, "that sticketh closer than a brother." (See Proverbs  18:24) If you will put your trust in Him, He will save you so that you need never fall. I don't want this to be just another tract, but an invitation to you from the Lord Himself. If you will turn to God in faith, repent of your sins (for we are all sinners, (see Romans 3:23) be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, (See Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38 and Acts 4:12) the Lord Jesus will save you and give you the gift of the Holy Ghost just as He did to those early believers on the Day of Pentecost. (See Acts 1:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment