Monday, May 18, 2015

I Still Can't

All scripture references, unless otherwise noted, are from the King James Version of the Holy Bible.
I remember as a young person, probably in my pre-adolescent years thinking that I would like to be a pilot. My brothers and I used to work in the berry fields around the Puyallup valley, in Washington state. The purpose was to buy our next year's school clothes. However, when I would get enough money together, I would often hitchhike to the local airport and give to owner $10 to take me up in an airplane. While up in the sky I would dream of becoming a pilot some day. I remember he would on occasion, even let me take the controls and told me how to keep the plane level. To this day I have never pursued that youthful fancy. So if you were to ask me to take you somewhere in an airplane, I would have to say to you, sorry, I can't, I don't know how to fly!

By the same token, I can't save anyone. No matter how much I would like too, I can't. The Apostle Paul in 1st Corinthians 3:5-7 asked, "Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase." I rejoice when I hear of revival in churches across the U.S.A. and in foreign lands. But I recognize that if souls are being saved, it is God that is doing the saving. I can do my part in supporting missions at home and abroad and the ministers/missionaries can do their part in preaching and teaching, baptizing people in Jesus name and helping to pray them through to the Holy Ghost, but it still takes God to change the heart and save the soul.

The Lord Jesus said in John 15:5, "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." I like the song, "I Can't Even Walk (Without You Holding My Hand)." Some of the lyrics are as follows;
      I Can't even walk without You holding my hand.
     The mountain's too high and the valley's too wide.
     Down on my knees, I learned to stand.
     And I can't even walk without you holding my hand...
Jesus said, "without me ye can do nothing..." 

I want to be used of God, "to speak to sing to pray," as another old song says, but I still can't give the increase. Only God can do that. The Bible says in Psalm 127:1-2, "Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep." I have and will continue to pray for Sedona, Arizona, but in the end analysis, only the Lord Jesus can save the souls that are in my city. But for you my friend who may read this posting, the Lord Jesus said in John 12:32, "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me." He was lifted up on the Cross. He is drawing all men to Himself. Can you hear His cry? If you can, will you come unto Him today? Obey the gospel. Repent of your sins, be baptized in Jesus name to receive God's forgiveness and let God fill you to overflowing with His Holy Spirit. I hope you will do so. God loves you, but He will never force Himself on you.  (See Acts 2:1-4, Acts 2:38 and Acts 3:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment