Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Fear or No Fear

All scripture references, unless otherwise noted, are from the King James Version of the Holy Bible.
Several years ago I posted a subject entitled "No Fear." I re-read it to see what I said back then. My subject today is somewhat different. The Bible says in Psalm 111:10a, "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom..." This speaks of a reverential fear. As I recall in my very first reading of the Bible this scripture stood out to me. I had already read the New Testament and recalled the words of the Lord Jesus to His disciples in Luke 12:4-5, "And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him." This made the Old Testament scriptures come alive to me.

As previously stated the Bible says in the Psalm 111:10, "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom..."  or knowledge and follows with, "...a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever." In Proverbs 1:7,  the Bible says, "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction." And in Proverbs 9:10 the Bible says, "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." Then in  Proverbs 15:33  the Bible says, "The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility."  There are many more passages in the Bible that speak of "the fear of the LORD." I don't know about you but I want to do what the Lord Jesus commands, having a good understanding praising the Lord with a reverential fear throughout my life.

My friend the Bible says in 1st John 4:17-18, "Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love." God loves you with that perfect love. It is a love that is unutterable love. There are no words to express how much God loves you and I. If you have repented of your sins but have never been baptized in Jesus name, find someone who will baptize you for Jesus said in Mark 16:16, "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." Be sure that the name of Jesus is called over you for the Bible says in Acts 4:12, "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." When you do, all of your past sins will be utterly forgiven. Then let God fill you with His wonderful Spirit, "...with signs following." (See Mark 16:20) You will never be sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment