Monday, February 2, 2015

Meaningless Vows

All scripture quotations are from the King James Version of the Holy Bible unless otherwise noted.
I have a copy of "The Minister's Service Book," published by The Gospel Publishing House, Springfield MO., out of which I have been able to glean information for both funerals and weddings over the years. As I looked through it again for this posting, I was struck by the continued use of the Lord Jesus' words found in Matthew 19:6b "What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." (See also Mark 10:9) I am not sure what kind of vows are being said in today's weddings, but I find it doubtful that anyone would say, "we will stay married unless things get too tough for us." 

According to the American Psychological Association the latest statistics on the divorce rate in the United States is about 40 to 50 percent of marriages end in divorce. I found the following on the website http://www.apa.org/topics/divorce/.  
"Marriage and divorce are both common experiences. In Western cultures more than 90 percent of people marry by age 50. Healthy marriages are good for couples' mental and physical health. They are also good for children; growing up in a happy home protects children from mental, physical, educational and social problems. However, about 40 to 50 percent of married couples in the United States divorce. The divorce rate for subsequent marriages is even higher." 
I wonder what marriage vows were spoken at the weddings of those who later divorced?

My wife and I are coming up on our 50th wedding anniversary. I don't say that to boast or by way of comparison with others. We have remained married to each other, not just because we love each other, but because of what the Lord Jesus said in the above mentioned scriptures. I did a similar search for the rate of people cohabiting together and came up with the following statistics at the website 
http://www.unmarried.org/press-room/briefing-kit/: 

"Did you know:

  • There are 112 million unmarried Americans, representing over 47% of the adult population (ACS, 2012).
  • Since 2005, the majority of US households have not been headed by married couples. The number of non-married-couple households continues to grow (ACS 2005-2007).
  • There are more than 51 million households headed by unmarried Americans, representing roughly 44% of all households and the majority of households in 23 states, plus the District of Columbia (CPS, 2007)."

Let me clarify my position, I believe that a true marriage is between a man and a woman. The Bible says in Hebrews 13:4, "Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge." For those contemplating tying the knot, I like what one preacher is reported to have said, "it may not have been the will of God the night before the wedding, but it sure is the night after." So my advice to any who are to be married, don't make meaningless vows. Marriage truly is until death us do part. (See 1st Corinthians 7:39) Remember what the Lord Jesus said, "What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."


No comments:

Post a Comment