Friday, January 3, 2014

God is Never Too Late

Several years ago we had a great misfortune happen in our lives. Without going into details, both my wife and I prayed earnestly for the Lord Jesus to intervene. I admit that I tried to control the situation at first which I shouldn't have done, but it was all to no avail. To make a long story short, what we greatly feared finally came to pass. I was devastated to say the least. I remember the incident happened the Saturday before the Oregon Camp Meeting. I usually went to camp by myself and would be joined by my wife for the Wednesday evening service as I had a lot of vacation time and my wife did not. Monday night service was the first service. I went to it as usual. I don't remember what the preacher's subject was as I was so immersed in my sorrow. I remember going back to our fifth wheel camper after church was over telling the Lord that it was too late to do anything now. I was very sorrowful but was able to hang onto my faith and trust in God. I just did not understand why I did not get my prayer answered. On Tuesday evening, I again went to the services. The district officials liked for the ministers to sit on the platform which I obligingly did. When the preacher finally got the floor, he introduced the title of his message, God is never too late! He proceeded to preach on the subject of an on-time God. I truly don't remember much of the message but I do remember the title. It was as if God was saying to me, You may think that I was too late, but with Me, I am never too late!

God is an on-time God! The Bible says in 1st Peter 5:5a-11, "...Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble. 6  Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: 7  Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. 8  Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 9  Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. 10  But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. 11  To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen." Notwithstanding our humility of lack thereof, the Lord is never too late. There is a due time in God's plan and He has everything well in hand. Jesus really does care for us and if we trust Him, He will answer us in His good time. Our place is to trust the Lord Jesus whatever happens.

In Galatians 6:9 the Bible says, "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." Have you ever been weary in what you were doing? Sometimes the simplest mundane tasks become wearisome. Reading your Bible can, at times, seem wearisome. (We need to read our Bibles regularly though). Living for God can seem that way on occasion. However the promise of God is if we will " not be weary in well doing," in God's good time, "we shall reap, if we faint not." The Bible says in 2nd Peter 3:9-10, "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 10  But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up." God is an on-time God. The day will come when He will take care of the devil. If He doesn't take action when we think He should it is because He wants to give us every last opportunity to be saved.

Are you saved? What a question to ask the choir. There may be someone reading this post who has never been sure of their salvation. If that fits you, understand that God loves you and does not desire your destruction. (See Ezekiel 18:32) Why not turn to the Lord Jesus today. Repent of your sins, be baptized in Jesus name for the forgiveness of those repented sins and God has promised to fill you with His Spirit. Be saved today!

No comments:

Post a Comment