Thursday, August 29, 2013

Are You Going God's Way?

All scripture references, unless otherwise noted, are from the King James Version of the Holy Bible.
There was a popular song some years back by sung by the late Frank Sinatra called "My Way." As I googled for the lyrics to this song I found that it was also sung by the likes of Elvis Presley, etc. The last verse of the song, according to "http://www.lyricsfreak.com/f/frank+sinatra/my+way_20056378.html," go like this, 
     "For what is a man, what has he got?
     If not himself, then he has naught
     To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels
     The record shows I took the blows and did it my way!"
Both of the artists named above are now dead. I wonder if one could ask them if doing things their way was worth it? I don't think so!


There is a song that I used to sing occasionally to my family (why I don't know). The song goes like this: (at least as I used to sing it)
     Ye take the high road and I'll take the low road and I'll be in Scotland afore ye.
     For me and my true love will never meet again on the bonny bonny banks of Loch Lomond.
I had to listen to it on YouTube  to be sure I was using the right words. I have used the sentiment of that song over the years, notwithstanding its implication of Scotland being the destination, to illustrate that all roads don't lead to the same place. You may or may not take the same road as I. Does it really make any difference which road we take? We will all one day get to heaven anyway?

The Bible says in Proverbs 14:12 and 16:25,  "There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death,"The Bible further instructs us in Jeremiah 10:23, "O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." So it would seem that leaves us in a quandary. Which road should we take if we want to make heaven our home? The answer lies in Isaiah 55:6-9, "Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."  My way is not the one God goes by?

So we dare not go on the road that may seem right to us. But rather we should follow the instruction found in Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." I remember asking the church in Tigard Oregon when I was their pastor, "How many want to make heaven your home?" There was a unanimous response as I recall, everyone answered in the affirmative. Then I asked the people, "how do you think you are going to get there?" These are good questions. The answer is only Jesus can get us there.

If you will go back and read Isaiah 55:1-5. Surely this is speaking of the Son of man, the Man Christ Jesus. He is the one who God has given to be "for a witness to the people, a leader and commander to the people." It is surely the Lord Jesus who God has given who, the Bible says, shall "call a nation that thou knowest not, and nations that knew not thee shall run unto thee because of the LORD thy God, and for the Holy One of Israel; for he hath glorified thee." The Lord Jesus, the Man Christ Jesus, the Son of the Living God said in John 14:6 "...I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." The Lord Jesus is the way to get to heaven. There will never be another.

So the question remains, are you going God's way? In Acts 2:37-39 the Apostle Peter, was asked by those who had crucified the Lord of Glory, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?" Standing with the eleven Peter replied, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." There may be ever so many opinions of how to be saved, but there is only one way that will save you. That is God's way! The other ways may seem right but they will undoubtedly lead you to death. If you have never done so, why not quit singing that song, "My Way," and go God's way. Do it today!

No comments:

Post a Comment