Saturday, June 29, 2013

Now I Belong to Jesus and Jesus Belongs To Me

All scripture references are from the King James Version of the Holy Bible. The Hebrew and Greek meaning of the words mentioned are from Strong's Hebrew Greek Dictionary.
I love the words to the old song, "Now I belong to Jesus and Jesus belongs to me, not for the years of time alone, but for eternity." I thank my God that I can still sing and say those words with meaning. "And He walks with me and He talks with me and He tells me I am His own; And the joy we share as we tarry there, none other has ever known." Another old song, probably older than I am but with beautiful and comforting words. The Bible asks in Psalm 8:4, "What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?" The psalm goes on to say that God made man a little lower than the angels and crowned him with glory and honor, etc. Surely I can apply this passage to myself. But the writer of the Book of Hebrews rehearses that passage in Hebrews 2:6, "But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him?"  The Bible lets us know that God is speaking of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ in Psalm 8:4.

What does it mean to belong to the Lord Jesus? I am made to think of the scripture found in 2nd Corinthians 6:17-18 where God says through the Apostle Paul, "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty." To think that He thought of me when He said that! What wonder fills my heart. There can be no fellowship between righteousness and unrighteousness. There can be no communion of light with darkness or any accord of Jesus with the worthless sons of wicked men, (See the Hebrew meaning of Belial in Strong's Hebrew Greek Dictionary, E.G., H1100) or he that is a believer with the unbeliever. (See 2nd Corinthians 6:14-16)

Another passage answers that question more to the point is found in 2nd Timothy 2:19, "Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity." I think that Paul was speaking to those Christians who belonged the the Lord when he said for them to depart from iniquity. I am glad that the Lord Jesus knows me by name, (and I am glad that He delivered me from the iniquity of my past when He saved me). I really like the newer and perhaps more popular song, "He Knows My Name." You can watch and listen to it at, http://www.elyrics.net/read/t/tommy-walker-lyrics/he-knows-my-name-lyrics.html, if your of a mind to.

So what does it mean to belong to the Lord Jesus? The Lord said in John 14:15, "If ye love Me Keep my commandments," and then in John 14:23 He said, "if a man love me, he will keep my words..." How can one say he or she belongs to the Lord Jesus and lightly esteem His word. I don't think it is possible. Someone may ask, "don't you think that you are trying to be a little too spiritual?" No, I don't. If the Lord Jesus left His throne in heaven and left His reputation as God to come into this world as a man, taking upon Himself the form of a servant, and the word here in the Greek is δοῦλος doulos which literally means a voluntary bond slave, (See Philippians 2:5-11 and G1401 in Strong's  Hebrew Greek Dictionary) can I do less than voluntarily become His bond slave? I am glad I belong to Jesus as His slave and that He belongs to me as my Master.

No comments:

Post a Comment