Tuesday, May 7, 2013

"The Few, The Humble, The ... What?"

"The Few, The Proud, The Marines." As Americans most of us have probably heard that expression in advertising literature of the U.S. Marine Corps, and I think that, humanly speaking, the Marines have a right to use that slogan. Because they are few in comparison to other services, and they are justifiably  proud of their accomplishments. They indeed have gone "From the Halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli." (See the Marine Corps Hymn.) They are Marines. And to them I say, Semper Fi! (although I served my country in the U.S.Army, I am proud as an American of the U.S. Marines.) 

There is another group that I could use the Marines slogan to describe if I changed a few words. Let me try; "The few, the humble, the Christians." I remember hearing one late night radio program back in the 70's called "Larry King Live at Night." You may have heard of this guy yourself. Anyway I remember him saying something to the effect that it was no wonder that there were so very few genuine Christians because, who could live that way anyway. I remember having to agree with the sentiment he was expressing. 

The Lord  Jesus was asked by one of His disciples in Luke 13:23-24, "Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them, Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able."  In Matthew 7:13-14 Jesus said, "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." I think His answer was clear, few will find the straight gate and narrow way. How sad! Now I realize that some of us Americans, the present administration and their cronies excepted, have thought of ourselves as a Christian nation. In fact, reading the book entitled, "America's God and Country Encyclopedia of Quotations," by William J. Federer, one would think that we started out to be a Christian nation. Of course like Larry King said, "Who could live that way?" 

Let me say that there is not one who lives good enough to merit salvation. So if you think that you live a pretty good life and God would be missing a bet if He didn't save you, think again! The Lord Jesus said in Matthew 5:20, "For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven." As good as you could live, it could never be good enough!

The Apostle Paul, who was brought up at the feet of the Jewish Rabbi Gamaliel (See Acts 22:3), in Acts 26:5 said, "that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee." He also said of himself in Philippians 3:5-6, "Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless."  Yet Paul knew what the Lord Jesus said and so said in Philippians 3:7-8, "But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ..." and he went on. 

Lest I be overly long in this post, let me say to you the reader, if you would be one of the few, the humble, the Christian, You must (yes I said must) repent of your sinful ways, and yes your ways are by nature sinful. Repent towards God, choose His ways, forsake your own ways. Put your faith in what the Lord Jesus did for you at Calvary. Make The Lord Jesus your choice and be baptized in the holy saving name of Jesus Christ, (See Acts 2:38 and 4:12) and receive the baptism of the Holy Ghost as they did on the Day of Pentecost (See Acts 2:1-4). I am praying for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment