Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I've Got The Holy Ghost, But Where Is The Fire?

All scripture references are from the King James Version of the Holy Bible. The Hebrew and Greek meaning of the words mentioned are from Strong's Hebrew Greek Dictionary.
I love to sing older choruses, maybe because I am older now. I have always liked the chorus I've Got the Holy Ghost. The words are as follows;
     I've got the Holy Ghost down in my soul just like the Bible says.
     I've got the Holy Ghost down in my soul just like the Bible says.
     Well I've been to the water and I've been baptized
     My soul is happy and I'm satisfied
     I wouldn't take nothing for my journey now,
     Just like the Bible, just like the Bible, just like the Bible says.

And indeed I wouldn't! I remember speaking with a minister of another persuasion some years ago during a Bible study we were holding in our home in Yankton, South Dakota. (Whew, that has been a long time ago) We had witnessed to a South Dakota state DMV examiner who was a Lutheran. He was interested in the Pentecostal experience and with his wife had attended some Charismatic type meetings. He came to our home with a Methodist couple and his Lutheran minister. As I explained what the Bible said the Apostles experienced on the Day of Pentecost in Acts 2:1-4 and told them that the same experience was for everyone today, the Lutheran minister spoke up. He said that he believed he had received the Holy Ghost when he was confirmed in his church but he hadn't spoken with tongues. I told him that if he had received the Holy Ghost without the initial evidence of speaking in tongues, he hadn't received it like the apostles and the early church did. I am so glad that I can not only take you to the place I received the Holy Ghost but I can show you in the Bible where it is found and say without equivocation its for us today. That reminds me of another old chorus;
     Its for me, Its for you, Its for your children 
     and for there children too.
     Its the Holy Ghost that Jesus is giving away.
     In Acts the Second Chapter you can read it for yourself,
     You don't have to ask anybody else
     About the Holy Ghost that Jesus is giving away.
Boy I do love those older choruses.

However, the title to this post is, "I've Got The Holy Ghost, But Where Is The Fire?" John the Baptist, the fore-runner of the Lord Jesus said to his hearers in Matthew 3:11. "I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire..." (See also Luke 3:16) The Bible says in Acts 2:3 "And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them..." Not only did they speak with new tongues or languages, (according to Strong's Hebrew Greek Dictionary,  γλῶσσα, glōssa, gloce'-sah, Of uncertain affinity; the tongue; by implication a language (specifically one naturally unacquired): - tongue,) but they had tongues if fire! Now I think I understand that the fire that sat upon the disciples was symbolic of the fire of the Holy Ghost. Oh, that makes me think of another old chorus;
     Lord set me afire, make me a flame for thee
     Millions are lost, though you paid the cost
     That they may all go free
     Lord I am yearning, set me a burning
     Let me shine out for you each day
     This my desire, set me afire, make me a flame

The Bible says in Deuteronomy 4:24, "For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God." and then is quoted in Hebrews 12:29,  "For our God is a consuming fire." How is it possible for us to have the baptism of the Holy Ghost and not be on fire for Him? I don't think it is possible. Let me make a judgment, those who profess to have received the Holy Ghost, even if they have spoken with tongues who are not set on fire need to check their experience. Oops, another old chorus comes to mind;
     Fire fire fire, fire fall on me.  
     Fire fire fire, fire fall on me.
     Like the Day of Pentecost,  fire fall on me.
     Like the Day of Pentecost,  fire fall on me.
Repeat:

When Moses was on the backside of the desert, the Bible says in Exodus 3:2, "And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed." What Moses saw was a flame of fire! In Exodus 13:21  the symbol of God's presence to Israel in their sojourn in the Wilderness was that, "...the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:..." Most of the offerings that were offered by Israel were offerings made by fire. An example is found in Exodus 29:18, "And thou shalt burn the whole ram upon the altar: it is a burnt offering unto the LORD: it is a sweet savour, an offering made by fire unto the LORD." Many other examples, too numerous to mention, make reference to fire in the Bible.

It is not wise to play with fire. The Bible says in Leviticus 10:1-2 "And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not. And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD." Maybe they needed a refresher course in the nature of God. (See Deuteronomy 4:24 mentioned earlier)  In Numbers 11:1 the Bible says, "And when the people complained, it displeased the LORD: and the LORD heard it; and his anger was kindled; and the fire of the LORD burnt among them, and consumed them that were in the uttermost parts of the camp." It is not wise to play with fire.

Do you have the Holy Ghost? Do you have the Fire? Remember what John the Baptist said in Matthew 3:11 and Luke 3:16. Jesus would not just baptize with the Holy Ghost but there would be Fire too. Which reminds me of the old chorus;
     Its  the Holy Ghost and Fire and its keeping me alive
     keeping me alive, keeping me alive
     Its  the Holy Ghost and Fire and its keeping me alive
     Jesus is keeping me alive

     Well its all over me and its keeping me alive
     keeping me alive, keeping me alive, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment